About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
Mike Wilder brings you movie reviews. Each week a Selection of reviews for new releases and older films plus movie comparisons.

Thursday 2 February 2012

Review of Rage (2010) By Mike

Title: Rage (2010)

Original UK Release Date: N/A

Original US Release Date: N/A

UK Rating: N/A

US Rating: N/A

Director: Chris Witherspoon

Genre: Horror/Thriller

Plot: Stalked by an anonymous biker, Dennis (Rick Crawford) is pushed to the limit trying to evade and understand what is happening to him.



Mike's Review

            I started out making a blog for movie reviews a short while ago for the purpose of making reviews for fans. However, I didn’t expect to be sent films to review so soon. I was put in touch with film maker Chris Witherspoon, he is promoting an independent film that he wrote, produced, directed and starred in called Rage. He sent me a copy and asked if I would review it for him. Happily I accepted. This is what being a film critic and reviewer is all about. Then I started to think, an independent film? There are a lot of them around and a lot of them are made by people that believe they possess the talent and ability to make a film, but in reality they fall far short of the mark. To get a good and unbiased opinion of the film I only watched the trailer for it, I left all the promotional material I received alone. The film arrived and with a fair amount of trepidation I put it on.

            The film is about Dennis, a struggling writer with a loving wife Crystal (Audrey Walker) and a mistress Dana (Anna Lodej). Heading out one day he encounters a figure on a motorcycle in a car park. Pushing the encounter to one side he meets up with Dana. During the meeting he tells her that he loves his wife and breaks off the affair. She doesn’t take it all that well. Once back in his car he encounters the biker again and this time the biker scratches his car and rides off. This leads to a game of cat and mouse, where at first Dennis hunts the biker down but the confrontations escalate and Dennis is soon in fear for his life. He now believes that the biker is a former boyfriend of his now ex-lover out for revenge. The biker arrives at Dennis’s home and things turn deadly.

            I went into this with a very open mind. I knew this was an independent film and I didn’t expect too much from it. I find this is the best way to view new films. The film started off well with good introductions to the main characters but by the time the second encounter with the biker happened I found myself drawn in to the film. I forgot all about reviewing the film and got engrossed into the story. The film finished and not for a single moment did I feel bored.  The pacing of the film is great, the story progresses well and the characters are well written and acted. The biker is menacing and all the more so because you don’t really know his motives. The direction is professional and makes good use of lighting and colouring. The effects are very well utilised during the films climax. But the best thing about the movie was the way the story kept you guessing. I thought I had the plot figured out about 5 different times but each time I was wrong. That’s what makes a good thriller/horror. There is one particular scene that was emotionally hard to watch but its place in the film drives the story and the terror forward to a new level.

            You can see with this film that Chris Witherspoon is a very talented film maker. I wish him luck and hope this film has the desired effect and someone takes a chance on his abilities. I would love to see what he could to with a studio backing him. After all Spielberg started out with a movie called Duel about a truck pursuing and terrorising someone.

            If you get the chance to see this film you really should take the chance. If you do you will see the start of hopefully a very successful film maker.


8 out of 10
 

Additional Information


Stand out performance: Chris Witherspoon as The Biker

 www.ragethemovie.net

Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment